History Of Al-Huda Mosque
Al-Huda Mosque sits on a wakaf land which was said to be originally owned by a Hindu money lender in the early years of 1900s.
In 1905 the land was entrusted to the family of Syed Ahmad Lebbai to be used for a mosque.
On 24th February 1925, the family of Syed Ahmad Lebbai represented by Mohamed Yoosof Bin Mohamed Kassim and Adamsaiboo Bin Madar in turn entrusted it to the family of Hj. Dolhalim Bin Abdullah (Karto) represented by Hj. Abdul Rahman Bin Abdul Aziz, Hj. Ahmad Bin Hj. Dolhalim and Hj. Mohamed Fathaly Bin Hj. Dolhalim.
In 1957 new trustees were appointed to replace those who have passed away. This took place on 26 November 1957 and the following persons were appointed, Haji Ahmad Bin Hj. Dolhalim, Abdul Aziz Bin Hj. Abdul Rahman (Amir), Mohamad Said Bin Hj. Ahamad, Abu Bakar Bin Haji Abdul Halim, Haji Mohamed Amin Bin Ihsan and Ustaz Ahmad Son Haji Bin Mohamed.
In 1968 when AMLA came into effect all mosques and wakaf lands in Singapore fall under the administration of the Islamic Religious Council of Singapore (MUIS). The responsibilities of the trustees are thus transferred to MUIS who in turn appoints a Mosque Management Board or MMB to manage the mosque.
Prior to 1925 it was related that the mosque was small and built of a wooden structure to serve the religious needs of the largely Malay-Muslim villagers residing in the vicinity. In 1925 the trustees of that time rebuilt a rather large mosque, made of wooden structures and styled with a close resemblance to the traditional mosque of Java as most of them hailed from that country. The roof was said to be double layered and the doors collapsible. The mosque looked beautiful compared to the other surrounding village houses of that era. It was named Masjid Kampong Coronation in conjunction with the name of a nearby main street. To the locals however, they prefer to fondly call it Masjid Kampong Tempeh due the its location in the middle of this village (kampong in Malay). There were a few other villages or kampongs in this vicinity namely Kampong Banjir, Kampong Cantik and Kampong Holland. The mosque served as a major place of worship for the muslim villagers residing in this Bukit Timah area.
In 1960 the desire of the villagers to rebuild the mosque brought about the formation of a mosque building committee led by Hj. Anang Bin Abdul Manan and he was assisted by a few village folks namely Hj. Ahmad Dahlan, Hj. Ahmad (Putih), Hj. Abdul Karim (Kiyai Karim), Hj. Ahmad Sirat (Campbel), Hj. Buang Ishak, Hj. Mustajab Hj. Johari and a few others. They began their fund raising efforts to build a new concrete mosque in this year.
The passion to build a new mosque created a great sense of responsibility and continous efforts by the villagers of Jalan Haji Alias, Jalan Siantan, Jalan Lim Tai See and the nearby villages. Aside from generous donations and monthly contributions, we were also told of how a few street peddlers especially Wak Karmo, Wak Saidi and Wak Hj. Bajuri who solicited donations from their customers and handing it over to the mosque committee at the end of their each business day. With their dedicated, continous efforts and prayers a new concrete mosque was finally completed in 1966. This new concrete mosque of the traditional Malay village style looked relatively grand compared to the other surrounding houses in the village which were all constructed of wooden structures.
The mosque retained its old name until the 1970s when a new mosque management committee was elected, led by the late Mustafa Bin Hj. Ahmad and assisted by Hj. Kamsin Pamer, Hj. Fadzuli Hj. Bajuri, Ibrahim Majid, Noordin Suhud and Hassan Sultani. It was during their tenure that the name of the mosque was changed to Masjid Al-Huda. They also brought about some changes in the style of management of the mosque and successfully conducted weekly religious classes with overwhelming response during the 70s and 80s.
Spiritual Getaway In The Suburb
With the gradual development of the area beginning in the late 80s and the relocation of the villagers to modern public housing estates, the area has now been transformed into a suburb of posh private residential buildings and small but exclusive condominiums. As time goes by some renovations were undertaken as necessary and to cater to the needs of the worshippers or the activities that are organised. The original asbestos roofing has been replaced with metal roofing due to leakages in 1990s. Still, many other original features of the mosque building like the minaret, dome and niche in the wall (mihrab) are intact and preserved. Apart from serving the needs of muslims working and living in the vicinity, Al-Huda Mosque now also stands as one of the last physical reminders of the Malay villages or kampongs that once existed in the Bukit Timah area. Muslim travellers passing by the area often took the time to perform their prayers or just to pause away from the hustling and bustling of the city. Now in modern times, with its peaceful and tranquil surroundings, this old styled mosque has become a spiritual getaway in the suburb.